Howdy polo folks!
Calling all Polo Club Alumni!
Polo club is hosting a tailgate on October 31st! Help us BTHO out of South Carolina and stop by for some Texas BBQ and catch up with the club! The event is free of charge just RSVP to Taylor Smith so we can get a head count. Her contact information and more information about the tailgate can be found on the attached flier .
Thanks and Gig’em!
Schedule of the week is as follows. Please note that there is a lot of information in this schedule, so be sure to read it completely!
NOTE: We have been having some issues with people arriving too early to the barn for riding. As we have emphasized multiple times, we request riders show up ten minutes early MAXIMUM. From now on, members that show up earlier than this will be tasked with mucking the barn and your horse will be assigned after your task has been completed.
Monday: Tack cleaning @ 7 pm with Megan and Marissa
Tuesday: Polo Game Rules Lecture and “Chalk Talk” with Coach Mike from 7-9 PM at the Rec, room 255. Both new and returning members are STRONGLY encouraged to attend to learn more about how the game of polo is played!
**See below the schedule for directions to this location.
Wednesday: Outdoor Club Chukkers for returning advanced members. Meet at the barn at 4 pm. See signup email.
Thursday: Club Chukkers, meet at barn @ 6:30 PM. See signup email.
Friday: Riding @ 5:30 PM with Brooke and Taylor, then MOVIE NIGHT AT THE BARN! After riding concludes we will project a movie on the side of the barn. Movie options will be listed on the club Facebook page in a poll. Be sure to cast your vote and bring a lawn chair or quilt to sit on!
Saturday: Team will be travelling to Brookeshire to practice arena polo and club members are invited to come watch and learn! However, spots are limited and you must be approved by team to attend. This is a great opportunity to come watch fast polo and learn more about how the game is played. If you are interested and would like to be considered for a spot, please respond to my “schedule of the week” email with your first and last name, horse experience, and a 1-2 sentence explanation of why you would like to attend. Signups for this opportunity will close Tuesday (October 6) at 7 PM.
Sunday: Riding @ 10:30 AM with Brooke and Taylor
**DIRECTIONS TO REC ROOM 255
After entering the rec, take a left to the large staircase past Smoothie King. Take the stair case and walk past the office on the left. Take a left down the hallway, then room 255 is the conference room to the left at the end of the hall.
Thanks and Gig’em!
Monday: Tack cleaning @ 7 PM with Casey and Taylor
Tuesday: Beginner Clinic @ 5:30 PM with Megan and Mailan. See signup email.
Wednesday: Riding @ 5:30 PM with Emily and Brooke
Thursday: Club Chukkers, meet at barn @ 6 PM. See signup email.
Friday: Riding @ 5:30 PM with Emily and Brooke
Saturday: BTHO Mississippi State
**NEW MEMBERS: Please see below the schedule for details pertaining to weekly riding.**
Schedule of the week is as follows.
- Monday: Tack Cleaning @ 7 pm with Emily and Dalton
- Tuesday: Riding @ 6 pm with Megan and Brooke
- Wednesday: Beginner Riding Clinic @ 6 pm with Emily, Brooke and Taylor. See signup email.
- Thursday: Club Chukkers. Meet at the barn @ 6 pm. See signup email.
- Friday: Riding @ 6pm with Megan and Mailan
- Saturday: BTHO Arkansas
- Sunday: Trail ride for those who helped with barn cleanup prior to the start of the semester. See email to come.
DETAILS OF WEEKLY RIDING: We have had some confusion about how riding works and what is required to participate.
In order to participate in riding, you must have an approved AOR and as of this week you must have paid your dues. Having signed a dues contract will no longer be adequate to ride; you must have either paid your dues in full or paid the first portion of the payment plan.
Additionally, you must wear proper riding attire. Proper riding attire consists of long pants and boots with a heel. Tennis shoes, sandals, flip-flops, etc. are not acceptable. Capri pants are not acceptable unless you wear a tall boot which protects your lower leg. Shorts are not acceptable under any circumstances.
If you show up to riding and do not have an approved AOR or have not paid your dues or are not wearing proper riding attire, you will not be allowed to ride. No exceptions.
Also keep in mind that riding fills up quickly and we do not reuse horses like during free riding week. Riding is first come first serve, and once a horse is assigned, it is no longer available for that day. Additionally, we do not pick up at the bus stop for riding. The bus stop carpool was only for free riding week and we will no longer be providing this service. In short, be on time and make sure you have a ride to the barn. We ask that you show up within 10 minutes of the scheduled riding time.
Sorry for the long post, everyone. If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Hope to see you all out this week!
If you or someone you know is an alum of the Texas A&M Polo Club, we are looking to reconnect with you! We want to stay in touch with our alumni and let you all know about what the club is up to, how team is doing at their games, and about our horses and members. If you are a club alum please fill out the form at this link http://recsports.tamu.edu/connect-with-rec-sports/ and have any other alumni you may know fill it out as well! If you have questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org!
Thanks and Gig’em!
For those of you who were not able to make it out to the new member meeting on Monday, here is a reacp of what we talked about:
- The usual schedule of the week:
- Monday – Tack cleaning
- Tuesday – NEW- outdoor advanced chukkers. You must be advanced enough to play as determined by the officers
- Wednesday – Riding at the barn
- Thursday – Club Chukkers. Open to everyone
- Friday – Riding
- Weekends – Varies. Trail rides, extra chukkers, riding, clinics, socials
- Barn Rules:
- Must have long pants and closed toe shoes to ride. Closed toe shoes required at all times when at the barn.
- NO touching horses without an officer present
- NO ALCOHOL EVER
- Please don’t show up more than 10 min early.
- Only officers assign horses. Club members may ask for certain horses but officers must approve choices.
- Always ask if you have questions!
- Tuesday Chukkers – For advanced players only. Must already have intermediate to advanced riding ability and decent polo playing ability to be able to join. Officers determine who qualifies to go. Those who dont qualify to play can still come watch/help.
- Thursday Chukkers – Open to all club members regardless of experience. Practice polo skills and play games. This is your chance to practice and improve to qualify for Tuesday Chukkers!
- Club Tournament – Once a semester club members travel to Brookshire ERG Arena to ply each other tournament style. You must have decent polo playing ability to qualify to come so get out to chukkers and practice!
Horse Care-Lara Straussfeld
- If you are interested in helping feed the horses please contact Lara.
- If you notice anything wrong with a horse let an officer know IMMEDIATELY. Contact Lara if no officer is availabe.
- Dues must be paid before you can ride!
- Dues must be paid by 9/30 or there will be a late fee!
- Dues are paid part to the club and part to the rec. The rec portion must be paid at the rec member services desk.
- You must have completed and AOR and Standard of Contact on maroonlink to participate!
- You must complete a Drivers AGreement if you want to travel with the team or club
Special Events-Mailan Bui and Dalton Woodfin
- Talk to Mai or Dalton if you are interested in merchandise or have ideas for merchandise.
- There will be social throughout the semester. Talk to us about ideas you may have>
- We are planning several fundraisers throughout the year. Please plan on volunteering to help with these!